As a part of the York Region, Newmarket is the place to be as a family friendly town. Newmarket has been acknowledged for being one of the most romantic, innovative, and intellectual towns.
It has also been awarded a spot in the top 10 on Canada’s Overall Best Places to Live list.
Newmarket MLS® Listings
Find Your Perfect Home For Sale!
Click the button below to view results in Newmarket for Single Family, Condos and Townhouse. You can filter to your liking.
Newmarket was named after its history of trading posts along the canal system and for being home to many entrepreneurs. The Main Street Heritage Conservation District showcases over a 100 years of history, with many preserved historical buildings. This street was awarded the winner of the 2016 People’s Choice “Best Street Award”.
One great perk about living in Newmarket is that 50% of residents commute less than 30 minutes to work each day because of the amazing employment opportunities. This is the place that you will find a diverse and growing economy in many areas such as healthcare, business, and retail.
If you are ready to live in a growing vibrant community with a small town heart, Newmarket is your place. Between amazing community events, festivals, sports programs, shopping, education and food you can’t go wrong with living in Newmarket.
Top 10 Reasons to Live in Newmarket
- A place where it is ‘easy being green’– A nationally recognized LEED Platinum subdivision, various environmental bylaws and more than 44 kilometres of trails are just a few examples of Newmarket’s commitment to a clean, green community.
- A little bit country, a little bit rock and roll’ – Located half way between vibrant downtown Toronto and beautiful cottage country, Newmarket offers the perfect balance of big city amenities and small town charm.
- Premium healthcare – Home to Southlake Regional Health Centre, this renowned hospital offers world class healthcare and plays an integral role in the community’s Economic Development Strategy.
- An ideal place to do business – With easy access to all major highways, a skilled workforce and supportive business environment, Newmarket is a location of choice for any business venture.
- An affordable place to call home – When compared with comparable communities, Newmarket offers below average residential and commercial taxes.
- Safety first – Newmarket’s low crime rates consistently position Newmarket as one of the safest communities in the country.
- Shop ’til you drop – Whether strolling the quaint shops on historic Main Street or the brand name stores at Upper Canada Mall, Newmarket has something to offer for all shopping enthusiasts.
- Fun, fun, fun – With over 6,500 recreation programs and more than 300 special events annually there is always something fun to do for the whole family.
- Advanced transit network – Currently under construction, the vivaNext rapid transit system will provide increased transit service and improve connectivity with neighbouring communities.
- A bright and promising future – There are a number of plans in place (Official Plan, Economic Development Strategy, Cultural Master Plan) to ensure that Newmarket’s future is full of promise, prosperity and possibilities and that the community remains one of best places to live in Canada!
Discover for yourself, what Newmarket has to offer!
Things To Do
The town’s website has a handy calendar of events. Be sure to check back frequently to stay up to date with what’s happening.
- Local Farmers Market during the summer months
- Old Town Hall always has something going on. Click here for event listings.
- Winterfest has all sorts of indoor and outdoor activities for the family.
- Newmarket Riverwalk Commons features an outdoor stage and is host to various Newmarket events all year long. Some notable events include Music in the Park, Moonlight Movies, Kanata Summer Festival, Garlic is Great Festival, Winter Wonderland, the Newmarket Ice Lounge and more.
- New’bark’et Dog Festival is one of a kind!!
- NewRoads Performing Arts Centre – Enjoy live shows like the Newmarket Artist Group showcase, The Film and Arts Festival, Banquets, Cultural events and more.
Amazing culinary experiences are found all throughout Newmarket, especially at the Market Co. where you will find tasty delights and an incredible place to meet up with friends or loved ones.
Grace’s favourite destinations:
- Ground Burger Bar – Amazing burgers, especially the lamb burger with goat cheese! So good!!
- Hungry Brew Hops – We love their mussels in beer broth and they make a wonderful beer sangria too! Their soups (lunch) are all freshly made daily.
- Union Chicken Upper Canada Mall best chicken in town
- Goulash House – My husband has Hungarian in him so we go here to get rooted.
Other notable mentions:
Parks, Trails and Sports Fields
The Tom Tayler trail is Newmarket’s most popular trail. It takes you through the centre of the town and is 6 kilometres long.
The Mabel Davis Conservation Area is also very popular and home to trails, parkland and waterways. Come here to bird watch or read a book during a sunny summer afternoon!
Newmarket has plenty of green spaces, landscapes and parks throughout the community. The top park to visit is an urban park called Riverwalk Commons that comes equipped with a grandstand area and a splash pad that’s turned into a public ice rink in the winter.
Newmarket’s trails are part of the Nokiidaa Trail, which connects it to the Towns of East Gwillimbury and Aurora.
Newmarket offers a variety of unique independent retailers throughout the community.
Of course there are your normal retail stores and most are located at Upper Canada Mall as the premier shopping destination north of Toronto.
Explore 5 Date Nights ideas at the Upper Canada Mall! Click here to read the blog post.
Click here for a full list of stores including American Eagle, Banana Republic, MAC Cosmetics, Roots and dozens more!
Newmarket has a variety of Public and Catholic schools from elementary to highschool, including French Immersion options. All schools are overseen by the York Region District School Board and the York Catholic District School Board.
- Dr. John M. Denison Secondary School
- Huron Heights Secondary School
- Newmarket High School
- Sir William Mulock Secondary School
- 15 elementary schools.
- Sacred Heart Catholic High School
- 6 elementary schools
- A Christian private elementary school
- Newmarket District Christian Academy (NDCA)
- Pickering College
- Seneca College
Newmarket is connected to two of Toronto’s major highways (HWY 400 & HWY 404) allowing you quick and easy routes to follow in and out of the city.
Local transit is provided to the city by York Region and consists of many convenient routes, including options to Downtown Toronto.
Go Transit is also available at the Newmarket Go Station servicing passengers heading south to Toronto and north to Barrie.
Major Public Sector Employers
Southlake Regional Health Care (national leading cancer care unit)
- Population: 89,000
- Average home price: $774,000
- 21 public schools
- 7 catholic schools
- 45 parks & open areas
- 4 recreational centres
- Annual festivals: Winterfest, Music in the Park, Moonlight Movies, Kanata Summer Festival, Garlic is Great Festival, Winter Wonderland, the Newmarket Ice Lounge
REAL ESTATE IN NEWMARKET
Click here to explore:
- Most expensive home for sale
- Most popular home for sale
- Least expensive home for sale
- Neighbourhoods in Newmarket
- Town vs. region stats
- Google map
- Real Estate market health
I am passionate about making a difference by combating poverty and human trafficking. These are the organizations I support.